Grossbritanien » Leeds & Liverpool Canal | England
Der grosse Wasserweg im Nordosten Englands.
Leeds & Liverpool Canal | England: Steckbrief & Übersicht
|Länge des Wasserwegs:||204 km|
|Schleusendimensionen:||18.90 x 4.30|
|Max. Tiefgang:||1.10||Max. Durchfahrtshöhe:||2.40|
|Schwierigkeitsgrad:||Für Anfänger (viele Schleusen)|
|Gewässercharakter:||mit urbanem Umfeld, für Sportliche, Wasserweg in der Einsamkeit|
|Gewässerprofil:||Nur noch touristisch genutzt|
Gewässer hat Anschluss an:
Der Leeds & Liverpool Kanalwurde als erster der die Pennines (Mittelgebirge in England, welches von den Middlands bis zur Schottischen Grenze führt) durchquerenden Kanäle geplant.
1770 wurde der Bau beschlossen und schon 1773 das erste Teilstück von Skipton nach Bingley eröffnet, wobei es sich allerdings um eine schleusenlose Strecke handelte.
In der Folge wurden die Bauarbeiten mehrmals unterbrochen, da der Gesellschaft das Geld ausging.
Das grösste Handicap von damals war die Komplexität und Vielfalt der Route. Genau diese Handicaps vegangener Zeiten machen den Kanal heute zu einem der interessantesten Wasserwege.
Hausboot- und Narrowboat-Vermieter am Leeds & Liverpool
Pennine Waterways / The Leeds and Liverpool CanalHistory
The Leeds and Liverpool Canal was the first of the Trans-Pennine canals to be started and the last to be completed. The length and the complexity of the route meant that the canal took 46 years to build at a cost of five times the original budget.
The canal originates from a proposal in 1765 to construct a canal from Preston to Leeds to carry woollen goods from Leeds and Bradford and limestone from Skipton. Prospective backers in Lancashire argued for the canal to start from Liverpool.
The Canal Act passed in 1770 was for a route from Liverpool to Leeds via Parbold, Walton-le-Dale (just south of Preston), Colne and Skipton, with a branch from Burscough towards the River Ribble, a branch from Parbold to Wigan, a great aqueduct at Whalley and a branch from Shipley to Bradford.
In 1773, the first part to open was the lock-free section from Skipton to Bingley. In 1777, the canal was open between Liverpool, Parbold and Gathurst, near Wigan, and from Leeds to Gargrave, including the branch to Bradford. However, at this point all the funds had been spent and work came to a halt. By 1781 enough money was found to complete the branch to Wigan and the branch to Rufford.
It was ten years later, in 1791, that work re-started on building the canal west from Gargrave. In 1794 a new Act was passed, changing the route to run via Burnley and Blackburn instead of Whalley and Walton-le-Dale. Foulridge Tunnel was opened in 1796 making the canal navigable from Leeds to Burnley. The section from Burnley to Blackburn took a further 14 years to construct and the missing link west of Blackburn to the Lancaster Canal at Johnson's Hillock was not complete until six years later in 1816.
The plan to continue the canal as planned from Johnson's Hillock to Parbold was abandoned through lack of money. An arrangement was made to use the section of the Lancaster Canal between Johnson's Hillock and Wigan, and to incorporate that and the Wigan "branch" into the main line of the canal. In 1820 the new branch was opened between Wigan and Bridgewater Canal at Leigh, linking with the rest of the canal system. In 1864 the Leeds and Liverpool Canal took over the southern section of the Lancaster Canal.
The engineering of the canal is very different from other Trans-Pennine canals. Most of the locks are concentrated in groups with long level sections between. Tunnels and cuttings are avoided where possible with the canal following the contours round bends and loops. In some sections the distance between points by canal is twice the shortest distance. The earliest locks, between Leeds and Bingley, are often grouped together to form staircases of two or three locks. The most spectacular feature of the canal is the five rise lock staircase at Bingley.